Saturday, November 17, 2012

Not Your Mother's Kinky Moves Curl Defining Hair Cream



My hair is naturally in between a wave and a curl depending on the humidity, but I am a hair straightening girl at heart.  My hair texture is just too baby fine to wear my natural waves and curls without looking more stringy and sparse than usual, so every day I blow my hair dry straight (which honestly doesn’t even take two minutes it is so fine) and then use a big fat curling iron to straighten and smooth it out even more.  I do this every day without fail.  Wearing my hair natural to me still includes the hair drying straightening process regardless of whether I style it any further or not.  So when I received the Not Your Mother’s Kinky Moves Curl Defining Hair Cream in my Influenster Blogger Voxbox for review I thought “Uh Oh!  This might not go well.”  I knew that my hair doesn’t look great with its natural curl and I also knew this product might be meant for waves and curls that are much more dramatic, possibly much thicker, and maybe even much more coarse than mine.  Now, you know how much I love you guys and will do anything for you, so of course I tried it anyway.  If you’d like to see how my hair turned out in comparison to how it looks straight (which you can see in my profile picture here) then click this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7Wh_Fo7vwA

After towel drying your hair, according to the directions you are supposed to “apply to hair and saturate locks.  Distribute evenly from root to tip.”  Then you scrunch and dry with your head upside down in whichever diffused way you choose.  I have to admit when I read this many thoughts rushed through my head.  “Saturate locks… oh gosh this is going to look like a jerry curl when I’m done.  Distribute evenly from root to tip:  this is going to weigh my hair down or make it greasy.”  “Scrunching is just going to end up frizzy and undefined.”  Thankfully none of those things happened.  I did have a few areas around the scalp that ended up less defined and a bit out of control, so the hair immediately went up into a barrette, but I did find that the waves throughout the length of my hair didn’t get as frizzy or unruly or full of static as they might have otherwise.  My hair looked pretty much the same way at the end of the day as it did at the beginning.  The cream has a nice lotion-like consistency and I honestly think I could have used more product even though I applied two or three fingers full which typically would be a ton of product for me.  That concerns me a bit because for someone with a ton of hair I could see them going through the product in just a few days unless they only wash their hair once a week or so, but the upside is that it really isn’t greasy or heavy at all.  The scent is a nice fragrance; slightly sweet and mild that doesn’t linger in the hair.  I do have one problem with the fragrance.  Have you ever been to a park that only has port-a-johns where someone comes around once or twice a day with this truck that pumps a blue liquid down into the hole which serves to not only cover the giant piles of poo other people have dropped so you don’t have to see it, but also to make the facility smell a bit more tolerable?  If you know what I’m talking about then you know that the fragrance isn’t an unpleasant one at all really.  The problem with the fragrance of this product is that it smells exactly like that blue liquid or a mild version of it.  If you’ve never smelled the blue liquid before then you will enjoy the fragrance completely.  If you have smelled the blue liquid then every time you use this product you will be transported into the inside of a port-a-john in your mind.  Definitely is a drawback for me since I’d rather spend more time out of those than in them of course.  All in all though using this product was a product experience for me even though I’m going right back to straightening my hair again from this point forward. 

Because I was sent this product there are a few bits of information I need to cover with you.  First the product facts according to Not Your Mother’s are “it de-frizzes and detangles unruly hair, defines and enhances natural curly or wavy hair, adds shine, and grapeseed is added for UV protection benefits.”  The product can be purchased for $6 at CVS, Walmart, Ulta, and other retail locations.  For more information go to: http://www.nymbrands.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment