Monday, August 18, 2014

My Day In A Nutshell

How I am even sitting upright at the moment I have no idea.  I didn't sleep a wink last night.  By the time 5:30 AM rolled around I had already suffered through three separate rounds of trash pickers digging through the three dumpsters that surround my apartment complex.  Why do they have to yell and laugh and hoot and curse and throw things around like they are at a rave?  The first batch thought it was a great idea to crush every single can on the cement as they pulled them from the bags of slop.  The second group was a mini van full of punk teenage boys, shirtless, wearing lights on headbands, yelling their words to each other like drunk people do leaving a bar at closing time.  They were throwing things around, cramming garbage into the backseat next to the seat where the third one was actually going to be sitting without even putting the disgusting objects into bags or boxes or anything.  One of them couldn't stop saying blow job so I can only assume he still has never had one.  One got super excited over a trashed laptop which we all know he won't be able to do a thing with stating that he was going to give it to his grandpa making it very clear the other two teen aged turds could not have it.  They drove away with the mouse shut in the back door and dragging on the pavement down the street.  The third batch did some digging and some talking but found nothing of course which is even more annoying because if people are going to disturb everyones' sleep there may as well be a reason for it that doesn't wind down into being just a disruption.  Surprisingly I'm not that grumpy now although I did actually type out the words blow job (that makes twice now) so I'm not exactly myself either.

Anyway, back to 5:30 AM... by the time it rolled around I was beyond exhausted although my mind had been racing for the past 7 hours nonstop so I decided to put in my earbuds and pop on my IPod Nano and listen to a Joel Osteen podcast or two and try to slow my brain down and relax a little.  I made it through  Healthy Families and part of You are Anointed before I finally drifted off to sleep only to be awoken shortly after 6:10AM by the Rumpke truck emptying the dumpsters.  He can't just empty them though.  He likes to slam them down on the concrete a few times to knock the tallest trash onto the ground which ultimately splatters garbage everywhere and means bags of it not only get trapped under the dumpster to rot and rot but that even if it isn't trapped it gets to sit and rot for another 4 days before he will be back to do it all over again.  Seriously though... the slamming actually makes my building shake and has knocked things off the wall before.

Somewhere close to 7:00AM I finally fell back to sleep only to have the mowing crew show up at 7:30AM.  5 and a half hours later they are still there.  *sighs*  I suppose you can imagine that I have given up on sleep for yet another night.
So since I was up I decided to go ahead and tackle my daily spiritual reading.  I am currently reading The One Year Chronological Bible (NIV).  (NIV if you didn't know stands for New International Version.  I plan to eventually read all of the versions because that is just how I roll.)  I read the segments for both July 9th and July 10th.  I am behind so I'm reading 2 days each time instead of one until I get caught up.  I'm really enjoying this actually because it puts the Bible in the order that things happened (they think) and gives it to you in manageable chunks of daily reading.  Makes it much easier for me to digest this way.  History was never my strong suit and history out of order and repeated multiple times in multiple places of a book just doesn't work for me and my learning needs.

Once I finished with my reading I completed my daily load of laundry.  (Today was colors washed in warm water.  Exciting stuff.  I know.)  Then I hopped in the shower and got ready so I could film my weekly Favorites video that is scheduled to go live on Friday.  (I really need to create a place to take thumbnail photos because I'd like to stop being in them.  I never look as good as I'd like to in them and probably should just take a photo of the products and leave it at that.)  Then it was off to the bank!  Another day another dollar as they say.
By now it's 12:30 and I haven't eaten a thing yet soooo... 


That's 330 calories of totally fattening goodness right there which means I don't need to put anything else in my mouth until about ten minutes till 4:00.  This is me sharing a Cole with a friend.  With lots of friends actually.  

While I noshed I decided to check my email.  8115 unread emails.  I'm not kidding.  I empty out the ones I need to read immediately and then tackle the rest as the day progresses.

Then I edit and upload the video which also means I have photo editing and description editing to do as well.  That's about all the video business I can handle for one day.

Time to check the mail and get a little exercise in!  Today I'm going to use the NordicTrack Sequoia.  It's kind of like cross country skiing along with a weighted resistance band workout for the arms.  I do 30 minutes of it, but I like to break it up into 10 minute segments for a couple of reasons.  The first is that 30 minutes of the same thing for me gets very boring.  The second is that I find if I do 30 minutes straight I don't work as hard towards the end as I do in the beginning.  Breaking it up into 10 minute segments means I go hard the entire 10 minutes.  It's the only way I'm going to break a sweat and really get my heart pumping.

Then I get to fight with Facebook for a while trying to get cover photos on a brand new page working just before reading a chapter of a book that I have to write some posts for that will go live on September 1st.  Something I have been reading for fun lately is a book called The Haunted Abbot by Peter Tremayne.  Eventually I will have to do a book review on it, but it is still just for fun.  It is also 5:00 and I'm starting to feel hungry, so I guess it is time to make a killer teriyaki baked potato.  Maybe while I eat I'll catch up on some YouTube.  I also have to sell some stuff so a little Facebook advertising is in order.  Today's product: Anew Platinum Eye and Lip Cream because it is 44% off.

Insert the next round of workout here.

Next I need to feed my soul.  I'm the kind of person who has to do things throughout the day that for me make life worth living.  I have to recenter myself and have been working very hard to try to get back to living and focusing on the present.  Years and years of multitasking by necessity through employment has changed my brain and I find I can no longer just focus on one thing.  When I try to do just one thing at a time I can't stop my brain from racing to other things and I also feel an almost uncontrollable urge to begin the physical act of doing multiple things at once almost like an addict must feel when they want another drink.  It even has a hint of guilt and boredom and urgency attached to it.  I'm trying to unlearn this extremely unhealthy skill and get back to the days when I was a kid and could just sit and do something for long periods of time and enjoy every second of it.  You don't do anything better when you do them all at once and this is my way of trying to slow the passage of time.  So I try to take some time to just grow as a human being spiritually every day which happens in many different ways.  Today I am going to read a chapter of a book called Excuses Begone! by Dr. Wayne Dyer.  I actually take notes while I'm doing this because I find that it forces me to focus even more on the words I am reading in the moment and I enjoy finding little nuggets of inspiration and jotting them down this way.  Even in school I was never much of a note taker.  I would jot down key words, but never really needed full sentences and paragraphs to absorb the information I needed to learn.  That is why this is so different for me.  This is purely about pleasure.  I even use fun colored pens and pads of paper that I think are pretty and turn the entire process into moments of pure pleasure.  Living life more slowly and simply really is where it's at.

Scanned and transmitted some information for a National Consumer Panel I'm on.

Turn on the Cincinnati Reds game and watch them lose to the the St. Louis Cardinals.

Insert the next round of workout here and drink a glass of milk because it does a body good.

Well, it's almost 11:00PM and I'm not done for the night but I AM done with posting for the day.  I can catch you up where I left off tomorrow.  I hope your day was productive AND enjoyable.  Do the things you have to do and make time for the things you want to do and be in the moment for all of it.  Nighty night!


No comments:

Post a Comment